Sunday, April 15, 2012

Poetry

April is National Poetry Month and we have been reading loads of poetry. Last week the children began writing their own poems and as always I was blown away with their ability to choose words that relay meaning and include creative design and emotion. The first thing we learn about poems is that they break all the rules of writing that we have been studying . . . boy do they love that! It's truly a beautiful thing to watch a child share a newly written poem and ask others to help bring it to life. Bringing a poem to life involves creating line breaks and moving words or phrases around to sound better. This week the children will be posting some of their work on their own blogs.

Every Friday afternoon we have a team meeting. As always the meeting ends with "recognitions". Recognitions are when one student recognizes another for something they did that was safe, kind, or responsible. This past Friday a second graders recognition brought the adults to tears. It went as follows, "I would like to recognize Jamie for helping me get better at jump roping. He told me that all I needed was to be more confident. I believed in myself and now I am really good. It's nice to know that other kids are looking out for me." Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Charlie has been writing poems at home, trying to come up with the perfect one to get put up on the smart board! It's been so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete